[WBEL-devel] export controls....

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:03:13 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, donavan nelson wrote:

> "Customer represents and warrants that it: (b) is not located in a prohibited
> destination country under the EAR or U.S. sanctions regulations (currently
> Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria)"

Guess we can scratch Iraq from the list now.  ;-)

> This would certainly include our new friend from Cuba then wouldn't it?

Technically yes.  But unless someone can find a way to even TRY to enforce
it I don't plan to worry about it.  After all, the Esat BT mirror is in
Ireland and there probably aren't too many locations banned by both and if
I will get off my butt and dig back through my mailbox I have a mirror
offer in .es which gives a third jurisdiction.

[mode rant=on]

Silly laws based on meatspace borders really don't apply to the network
world.  And anyway, I'm a flagwaving patrotic American too, and if I
thought that denying Comrade Fidel's oppressed subjects access to Free
Software would hasten the day of their release (note the proper party line
doubleplus goodthink) I'd actually give a crap (oops, crimethink) about
this stuff.  But it is just political posturing and everybody on every
side of the argument knows it.

But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

[mode rant=off]

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!