[WBEL-devel] An "Issue" with WBEL (pun intended)

John A. Tamplin jat-public01@jaet.org
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:22:48 -0500 (EST)

On 13 Dec 2003, Simon J Mudd wrote:

> Maybe one day I want to put Oracle on WBL or Sybase or another
> commercial product and it would be nice to know that I can just
> install it without worrying.  (Support is a different issue but on a
> home machine this may not be an important issue.)

Oracle installs just fine on WBEL, as does Informix.  Other commercial
applications have similar problems on RHEL3 -- even though they would work
just fine they reject it as an unknown version because the name isn't
Redhat Linux [789] or Redhat Enterprise Linux AS2.1.  Fortunately most of
those are just shell scripts that it is easy to modify to accept RHEL
ES/WS3.  IMHO, such applications are poorly written if they depend on a
particular string rather than looking for particular features they need.
At least for the commercial packages, they have the excuse of only
supporting a limited set of officially supported platforms and don't
particularly care if that removes something it would otherwise run just
fine on.

--
John A. Tamplin					jat@jaet.org
770/436-5387 HOME				4116 Manson Ave