[WBEL-devel] An "Issue" with WBEL (pun intended)

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:35:14 -0600

I don't think leaving an /etc/redhat-release would be a trademark issue
... and after doing some more studying, it will be an issue with several
other 3rd party applications.

Having just the file won't work though ... you need a file called
/etc/redhat-release and it needs to be owned by a package named
redhat-release-3ES-1,  redhat-release-3WS-1, or redhat-release-3AS-1.

Because the command frequently used by these apps to check the redhat
version is:

rpm -qf --qf "%{VERSION}" /etc/redhat-release

In WBEL it returns an error (even if /etc/redhat-release is a link to
/etc/whitebox-release), in RHEL 3 AS it returns 3AS.

In WBEL, the query:

rpm -qf --qf "%{VERSION}" /etc/whitebox-release

returns

3WB

So I don't know how we want to handle the whole /etc/redhat-release
issue ... but in 99% of the cases it will be a shell script that is
looking for the info ... and we should be able to do any number of
things to make it work on a case by case basis (if the program isn't
modified by the owner to work with WBEL).

-Johnny Hughes