[WBEL-devel] An "Issue" with WBEL (pun intended)

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 18:02:39 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> I don't think we want WBEL to have a /etc/redhat-release and I think
> RedHat would be upset by an /etc/issue that showed WBEL to be RHEL 3 at
> the login screen (and rightly so).  I think the way the Webmin issue was
> handled is the right way. (The author was more than willing to modify
> the program to work with WBEL).

Yes, having /etc/issue announce as RHEL would rightly anger RedHat,
blatent trademark violation.  But having a /etc/redhat-release as a
hardlink to whitebox-release is a good compromise.  Most software that
looks for a *-release file doesn't care what is in it, just that it
exists.  It just wants to know if it is on suse, mandrake, redhat, etc.
Since WB should behave like RH it should be ok if 3rd party apps detect
the system as RH.

Having a redhat-release is more on the order of still having
/usr/src/redhat still be the default RPM directory or having the CD images
still have /RedHat.  I'd like to change those too, but you have to draw
the line somewhere, stop twiddling and release.

> If there are issues with major programs who won't change, then we should
> address that separately for those programs.

While it would be nice to expect every project to add WBEL detection,
unless WBEL gets pretty popular that won't happen in practice.  Might as
well make it easy on people.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!