[WBEL-devel] amd64 port

Pasi Pirhonen upi@iki.fi
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:29:35 +0200

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 02:50:57PM -0800, Ryan Finnie wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> >From reading the devel list, it looks like the idea of WBEL for amd64
> and/or ia64 has been mentioned, but the discussion faded away.  I've
> downloaded the SRPMS for i386 RC2, and are going to go through with trying
> to make a production-quality amd64 port.  This port will be a port of WBEL
> RC2, not RHEL, since John has already done a great deal of work on the
> RHEL->WBEL transition, and it would be foolish to duplicate that effort.
> Here's my gameplan:

I am the guy who might have been 'most loud' abuot x86_64, ia64 and
S/390. It's not bad that there are several people working on same task.
There is some serious things wrong still with x86_64. I think mostly as
the configure-stuff isn't so up to date. Let me know, if you can't get
over something.

> 1. Install amd64 taroon, full install
> 2. Download i386 RC2 SRPMS
> 3. Weed out non-amd64 SRPMS and add amd64-specific SRPMS
> 4. Build WBEL RC2 on top of taroon
> 5. Install WBEL RC2
> 6. Build WBEL RC2 on top of itself
> 7. Install WBEL RC2
> 8. Build and release ISOs
> 9. When amd64 RC2 port is as good as i386 RC2 port, get John to sign RPMS
> for an "official" release.

Sounds like a plan. I am about to go task 5. any day now. Have had some
voodoo involved as the first round i got packages compiled which i
wasn't able to compile anymore. Have now sorted that out - i think.
openldap, mod_authz_ldap and evolution have been giving me thise
headaches. If the evolution now compiles right, i know that _all_ if
the i?86-stuff must be removed so the configure gets it right. At least
mod_authz_ldap did build now.

As said, there are pitfalls on building under x86_64, but problems are
to be solved.

One thing. By 'Taroon' you mean public beta2 or the real thing? As i
see it, it'd be better use latest public beta for starting point and
not use the commercial product to bootstrap something that is not
commercial. That's just my opinion and that's what i am doing.
Ie. being carefull not using any insights from 'the real thing'

> I'm currently at step 4, compiling "binutils" as I type.  And of course
> there are already 4 RPMS that have failed build, but selective
> installing/recompiling will fix that (such as ant needing an updated
> version of xerces-j, etc).  FYI, acpid-1.0.2-2.src.rpm was pulled over
> from RHEL since it's not in the i386 distro, but is in amd64.  In
> addition, the following packages are in i386, but not in amd64, and hence
> will not be in my amd64 port:
>
> apmd
> compat-glibc
> dev86
> Glide3
> hwcrypto
> kernel-pcmcia-cs
> kon2
> lilo
> lm_sensors
> ltrace
> memprof
> mkbootdisk
> pstack
> pxe

There might be some other packages too. I don't know yet. At least all
those seems to be obvious ones.

PS. I have some kind of IA64 already built, but i haven't had time to
get it further as the x86_64 have been giving me headaches. Initially i
thought i'd have ia64 and x86_64 ready by this weekend, but life isn't
always what you expect it to be.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi@iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/