[WBEL-devel] export controls....

John A. Tamplin jat+dip@jaet.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:41:06 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Rick Moran wrote:

> I think it would be easy to convey to a judge that there is no
> reasonable way to restrict this content on the internet without
> the ability to absolutely determine the origin of the download request.
> Thus the only avenues available are:
>
> 1. stop distributing the software
> 2. place the responsibility on the downloader to affirm that by
>    downloading that they are not causing us to break the law.

Well, you could use ARIN/etc databases to determine the rough geographic
location of the IP address blocks, and refuse any request from something
not known to be safe.  However, that doesn't prevent a foreign national
from either using a proxy on US/etc soil or dialing into a US ISP to do
the download.  So, ultimately I think the options are either make it
available for download with a warning or to block downloads until a more
thorough personal verification is done.  Netscape originally required the
latter when releasing 128-bit versions of their browser, which required a
telephone number and an address, and they verified that was a US address
and matched the phone number.  They stopped doing that and everyone else
started using just the disclaimer, so I presume several lawyers think that
is reasonable effort to prevent it.

--
John A. Tamplin					jat@jaet.org
770/436-5387 HOME				4116 Manson Ave