[WBEL-devel] export controls....

Rick Moran whitebox@spam.morangroup.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:29:39 -0500

Quoting donavan nelson <donavan@whiteboxlinux.net>:
> I've been poking around various places:  This is from
> https://rhn.redhat.com/legal/terms.pxt section 7.  I've found similar
> documents on the RH website.  Full quote below.

> This would certainly include our new friend from Cuba then wouldn't it?

Definetly, but we are trying to put the onus on the
customer/consumer/downloader.  This is the strategy that redhat has taken
and I think that it is a reasonable one.  Never been tested in court
tho...

> Are we covered by including the same in whitebox?  Are we responsible if
> someone downloads from a US mirror to Cuba?

I would assert that we are covered to the same degree that Red Hat
is covered.

I think it would be easy to convey to a judge that there is no
reasonable way to restrict this content on the internet without
the ability to absolutely determine the origin of the download request.
Thus the only avenues available are:

1. stop distributing the software
2. place the responsibility on the downloader to affirm that by
   downloading that they are not causing us to break the law.

Am I wrong?
Rick