[WBEL-devel] export controls....

donavan nelson donavan@whiteboxlinux.net
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:02:21 -0600

I've been poking around various places:  This is from
https://rhn.redhat.com/legal/terms.pxt section 7.  I've found similar
documents on the RH website.  Full quote below.

"Customer represents and warrants that it: (b) is not located in a prohibited
destination country under the EAR or U.S. sanctions regulations (currently
Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria)"

This would certainly include our new friend from Cuba then wouldn't it?

This entire export business is very difficult to understand and even more
difficult to find concise information about.  (That isn't legal
speculation/how it should be biased, etc.)  The same verb-age can be found in
many Redhat Documents.

Are we covered by including the same in whitebox?  Are we responsible if
someone downloads from a US mirror to Cuba?

Customer represents and warrants that it: (a) understands that certain of the
Services are subject to export controls under the U.S. Commerce Department's
Export Administration Regulations ("EAR"); (b) is not located in a prohibited
destination country under the EAR or U.S. sanctions regulations (currently
Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria); (c) will not export,
re-export, or transfer the Services to any prohibited destination, entity, or
individual without the necessary export license(s) or authorizations(s) from
the U.S. Government; (d) will not use or transfer the Services for use in any
sensitive nuclear, chemical or biological weapons, or missile technology
end-uses unless authorized by the U.S. Government by regulation or specific
license; (e) understands and agrees that if it is in the United States and
exports or transfers the Services to eligible end users, it will, as required
by EAR Section 741.17(e), submit semi-annual reports to the Commerce
Department's Bureau of Industry & Security (BIS), which include the name and
address (including country) of each transferee; and (f) understands that
countries other than the United States may restrict the import, use, or export
of encryption products and that it shall be solely responsible for compliance
with any such import, use, or export restrictions.

--
Donavan Nelson
donavan@whiteboxlinux.net