[WBEL-devel] An "Issue" with WBEL (pun intended)

Hedemark, Magnus mhedemark@trueposition.com
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:52:28 -0500

John Morris [mailto:jmorris@beau.org] said:

> Longterm they need to stop looking in /etc/issue since that
> is a file it
> is allowed for sites to customize.  Our main server has a
> neat ANSI art
> penguin.  :)  If they need to determine the distribution they
> should look
> for *-release and other more reliable hints.

Suggestion:  Instead of using /etc/whitebox-release or anything like that,
why not just /etc/release?  IMHO it's a path RHAT should be following
anyway.  Hopefully if we do it someone will submit a patch to Fedora.  If
Fedora does it, perhaps RHEL 3.1|4.0 will do it.

The name of the distribution should not, IMHO, be part of the filename.  It
sort of defeats the purpose of the file, and it's redundant anyway.