[WBEL-devel] Open Letter to John Morris, Beau WBEL members, et al.

Daniel Robitaille whitebox@robitaille.fastmail.fm
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:36:06 -0800

I think this project has to be very careful not to be too many things for
too many people at the same. If it does, the growing pains it will
experience could be lethal as community-based project. I think this
project leadership must continue to focus on it's core goal and avoid
wasting any energy on side things.

>From my point of view (single computer installation for a single-digit
number of users) this project has been until now exactly what I was
expecting, and exactly what it was advertised in the first place: The
BEAU library and it's computer people will produce a distro based as
close as possible to RHEL3, created for their own needs, and will provide
it to world.   In return for this pretty good (and quite usable) product,
the library got quite a few more people testing it out than it would have
had it they would have stay "private".

Is it a one-man show project?  Well yes.  Do I care?  Not really. That
seems to be the way the project was tooled in the first place from my
reading of the mailing lists and web site.

How about 3rd party software?  I'll do like I always done, and get them
from 3rd party web site (Mozilla, Opeenoffice, etc)

What will happens when RHEL3.1 or RHL4 arrives?  Don't know; I will
follow whatever version John decides to use at the time for the library
needs.

Am I afraid of a lack of stability if there is not real community around
it?  Not really.  As long as whatever errata produce by RedHat makes it
into the whitebox repos when John builds them for his needs, I'll be
happy.

And things change so often in the Linux world; who knows what the linux
landscape will be in 4 or 5 years anyway, and if there will be a need or
not for WBEL at that point in time.

I think the call for a large community, web site, etc, is nice; and could
be useful on the long run as an user learning the rope of RHEL/WBEL; but
from my point of view all that is extra bonus time.  If I get the WBEL
rpms, get regular erratas/updates, I'll get exactly what I need and what
I was expecting (for a pretty good price!), and in return I'll be willing
to follow whatever direction John decides to do, and produce for him
feedback and do the occasional beta testing when he's producing new
packages/new releases.

Daniel