[WBEL-devel] RHEL

John A. Tamplin jat-public01@jaet.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:48:52 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, John Hinton wrote:

> I have heard loudly that RHEL 3 has an end of life of 5 years. I have
> not heard anywhere that this will prevent them from releasing RHEL 4
> during that life cycle or even 5 and 6. Past history would lead me to
> believe that they will. Anybody heard otherwise? After all, we just hit
> EOL on RH 7.x products... even though 8 and 9 and almost 10? were out. I
> think RedHat's idea is to try to keep 3 around for as long as possible,
> sort of like they did in the old days... 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 etc... instead of
> these rapid from 7 suddenly to 8 and almost immediately 9 releases. I am
> hearing them complaining about trying to keep up with all the releases
> and trying to concentrate on one... but unless I'm missing something,
> that could be a pipe dream.

Yes, they have already stated they will keep support for RHEL3 for 5 years
from the initial release.  There will be other releases during that time,
as they are already planning on what is going into RHEL4 for sometime late
next year.  I expect we will see 3.0 update 1/2/3... and 3.1/etc when they
add something big.  I doubt the 2.6 kernel would go in any 3.x, although
they may make a channel available for those who are interested (going to
2.6 with all the changes involved would likely break important commercial
applications, so I don't see it making the main RHEL3 distribution).

--
John A. Tamplin					jat@jaet.org
770/436-5387 HOME				4116 Manson Ave