[WBEL-devel] RHEL

donavan nelson donavan@whiteboxlinux.net
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:33:12 -0600

> > I have
> > not heard anywhere that this will prevent them from releasing RHEL 4
> > during that life cycle or even 5 and 6.
>
> According to Red Hat:
>
> "12-18 month release cycle and five years of support for every version."
> http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/
>
> Which means yes, there will be multiple versions under support at any
> given time.

This would also mean that if I were to deploy on say 1000 multi processor
machines today, I'm 2-3 years from seeing the 2.6 kernel in a RHEL release.
Since I doubt it will be in RHEL 4 (too new), so RHEL 5 is my option.  But
them I'm forced to upgrade if I deploy on RHEL 3 today.  That isn't really 5
years of support.  I'm still holding out for a 2.6 kernel for RHEL 3.  :D

.dn
--
Donavan Nelson
donavan@whiteboxlinux.net