[WBEL-devel] ia64 port

Pasi Pirhonen upi@iki.fi
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:42:12 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:18:43PM +0100, Simon J Mudd wrote:
> upi@iki.fi (Pasi Pirhonen) writes:
>

> > It's not about the port itself. That easy like taking candy from a baby
> > after the i386-port has been done, it's about commitement.
>
> That's important too, but I think it's about having a consistent build
> system so building on different hardware is just a matter of adjusting
> (if necessary) a few config items and then putting the build process
> in action.

And that's just about the commitment i am talking about. The hardware
for building the updates had to be available. As i said before, i
currently have hardware, but i can't guarantee with this one, that it
will be abailable for IA64-port next five years. That is only box i
have access for now and with that you can't just say 'we do have
IA64-port of WhiteBox too'. There could be IA64-port initially but who
is making the updates and when? The point John made about 48-72h window
is very valid.

I really don't know how this should be done properly, but that's why we
are spnding time on writing, isn't it?

> Until you have a consistent 100% automatic build script the reliance
> on John will be too much and it can cause errors.

There isn't one and there never will be. There might exists something
that hasn't faild _yet_, but ...... :)

> If there is a 100% automated build script then if it's wrong you fix
> it and rebuild. If that rebuild takes 2-3 days fine, but you know that
> you can repeat the process every time.

automatic builsystems are fasinating tho. The debian one have been on
my 'i must get familiar with that' list for long time.

Currently, for me, it's just easier to make things manually with some
aid.

> Of course having the build script (which does not yet exist) still
> requires the builders, but that's much easier to organise.

I see it other way. There is release (WhiteBox) which needs some real
commitmen to get other ports (not to mention that i386 needs commitment
too). Later on you could ease the pain by more automatic building.

> For those of you who haven't used the *BSD oses and done a cvsup
> ... followed by make buildworld; make installworld you won't
> appreciate the flexibility that this can give you.

Last time i did 'make world' was VAXen. I rescued one 4k and just
wanted to see how fast that really was comparen my painfull memories
compiling kernel for something like 24 on slow VAXen years ago. It was
pretty fast. packed up the damn thing in about 25h.

*BSD is different task tho. It's more tight integrated basic system and
ports. Debian autobuilders might be more like the system we are talking
about.

> However that said, once you've installed WBLrcX the standard upgrade
> path will probably using rpms but that's fine too.

I was pretty much against RPMS not so long time ago (year). I don't
share that opinion with myself anymore :)

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi@iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/