[WBEL-devel] Curious thing with the bittorrents...

Jamey Fletcher jamey@odin.library.beau.org
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:39:30 -0600 (CST)

I just downloaded, a few mins ago, the linuxlobbyist .torrent file, and
started a client - and let it go through the original files - I'm using
the BT3.3 btdownloadcurses.py client - and it reported no errors...  But
then it immediately bailed out reporting permissions error - which sounds
like it may have tried to write to the files - which I would suspect might
mean the client doesn't actually report errors when it says "verifying the
downloaded files".

I *really* need to see what else is out there for the bittorrent world...
And perhaps write some documentation...  *sigh*  I love how, when you use
the gui download client, without any parameters, the help box runs right
off the top & bottom of the screen.  Scroll bars, anyone?

As it stands, the .torrent files on the download page are feeding out
straight from the whitebox server the ISOs residing there.  But people
reporting better results from the linuxlobbyist torrent - I say, go for
it.

And what's this about digital fountains?  Is this what's being used now on
UseNet for .PAR2 files, where even if you have missing sections, the
sender doesn't have to regenerate the exact parts that are missing, they
just generate new parts to send?  Or something like that?

I've been out of school too long.  (BTW, I *HATE* python!  Exact
whitespace should *NOT* be part of any language except those really
screwed up ones like brainfuck and the one that is *NOTHING* but
whitespace.)

--
					Jamey
				      ----<--<@