[WBEL-devel] Re: How to get the RHEL Errata?

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:17:59 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Imre Solti wrote:

> First question. I understand that the original Whiteboxlinux
> (WBL from now on) is (or supposed to be) equivalent with RHEL original
> installation and if we keep up with the RHEL errata packages then WBL
> will be always equivalent as RHEL. But how can we get the RHEL official
> errata packages? On their errata site, for example:
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2003-308.html
> the packages (both binaries and sources) are unlinked and claimed to be
> avialable only from the RH Network with up2date. "(The unlinked packages
> above are only available from the Red Hat Network)"

Discussion is ongoing as to how best to distribute errata.  Red Hat makes
their errata SRPMS available via ftp and through their network of mirror
sites.  My and others will download them and rebuild them.  I'll be making
them available at the same locations as WBEL, probably starting with the
next release, signed with the Beauregard Parish Library signing key, same
as WBEL itself.  The current planning calls for pulling in Fedora's
up2date to make use of it's ability to talk to yum and apt repositories.
Which one to use is still up for debate.  We also have someone on the list
wanting to get current (a Free up2date server, talking the complete
RHN protocol) working which would be good for large installs.

> So, should we WBL users (if want to stay within the limits of legality)
> subscribe at least one of our machines to RHEL-RHN and then get the
> errata source with up2date and install on other machines that are WBL
> boxes after building the errata from source? Or is there a
> non-advertised public link on the RH site where we can download the
> errata?

If you want to stay legal, do NOT transfer a binary RPM delivered via RHN
to any other machine.  RHN would be one way to get the SRPMs however.

> Second question. Is there an archive for this list?

There is now.  See the webpage for the details just posted.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!