[WBEL-devel] re: 2nd RC coming?

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 03:49:35 -0600 (CST)

> Do you plan to do a second release candidate or are you going to try and
> get everything fixed and do a final?

Not sure.  So far most of the errata submitted has been RH trademarks, and
I'm convinced most of them are found and if one or two made it into -final
it probably wouldn't be fatal.

There are a couple of known serious issues though.

1.  gettext on RC1 is just fine apparently, but rebuilds on WBEL show the
same problem Michael Redinger reports with his efforts on the RHEL-rebuild
list.  Specifically, /usr/share/gettext/libintl.jar is missing.  Turns out
I had a jdk installed on the original build machine, but installing the
same package on rc1 doesn't get a correct build.  But the package does
build so perhaps it is optional and allowed to be missing.

2.  The problem with tora being incorrectly linked.

And while I have been emailed a complete file list with md5sums of an
everything install of RHEL3 I haven't yet fully resolved all of the
differences.  Yet nobody has yet found a package that is broken through
testing, which is encouraging.

So how about this as a tentative gameplan?  Assuming no more problems turn
up I'll make a special effort over this coming long weekend to fix
everything on the known bugs list except for tora.  Gettext is something
I'd like to fix, but we can just keep the binary from RC1 if all else
fails.  (I don't have Oracle so other than shooting in the dark trying to
get it to link I have no way to test it.) If that goes well I'll push
through to get a new set of ISO images burned and tested in house.  If
they work they will be posted as RC2 with the understanding that if no
brown paper bag incident happens within a week after release it will be
declared -final and any problems found after that will be fixed by
releasing errata instead of ISOs.

Only one week to test could be too short, so a question: is it an
achievable target?

The only really new things needed for -final is a solution to the errata
and rhnlib issues and they appear solvable.  Really think the key thing is
to be shooting for a -final far enough ahead of the Dec 31 drop dead date
on RH 7.3 to leave people time to do the things they need to do internally
to QA, customize & begin to deploy. But if anyone has any ideas, shout em
out!

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!