[WBEL-devel] Re: How to get the RHEL Errata?]

Tim Fournet tfournet@penguinmonster.com
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:22:22 -0600

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 01:17, John Morris wrote:
> Discussion is ongoing as to how best to distribute errata.  Red Hat makes
> their errata SRPMS available via ftp and through their network of mirror
> sites.  My and others will download them and rebuild them.  I'll be making
> them available at the same locations as WBEL, probably starting with the
> next release, signed with the Beauregard Parish Library signing key, same
> as WBEL itself.  The current planning calls for pulling in Fedora's
> up2date to make use of it's ability to talk to yum and apt repositories.
> Which one to use is still up for debate.  We also have someone on the list
> wanting to get current (a Free up2date server, talking the complete
> RHN protocol) working which would be good for large installs.

One question I have is how will we keep the trademarked references and
images out of the errata RPMS? Is it possible to write a script that
will automatically remove them when rebuilding the SRPMS from Red Hat's
ftp server?

If there's a question between using yum and apt, I'd vote for yum. It's
been designed for RPM and makes use of the real rpm libraries and
performs proper RPM transactions. Maybe we can include a "yum-server"
package which will help to build a mirror yum repository on a server for
errata.