[WBEL-devel] word of caution regarding webmin

John Hinton webmaster@ew3d.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:43:36 -0500

First, I'm ecstatic!!! Thanks for WhiteBox EL!

So, I've been playing around with a couple of new installs. One
webserver install, one full install.

Of note, sysstat is sending messages to my webserver install, as I
selected it as an additional package during the intial setup. Seems
someone commented it did this under full install but not under a later
install. Maybe this happens with any intial install no matter how it
gets there.

Second... and maybe this is just something I did that was stupid? My man
pages on the non-graphical server install have an odd character
appearing in place of some punctuation I guess? For instance:

     KeepAlive
             Specifies whether the system should send TCP keepalive messages
             to the other side.  If they are sent, death of the
connection or
             crash of one of the machines will be properly noticed.
However,
             this means that connections will die if the route is down tem-
             porarily, and some people find it annoying.  On the other hand,
             if keepalives are not sent, sessions may hang indefinitely
on the
             server, leaving â   ghostâ   users and consuming server
resources.

             The default is â   yesâ   (to send keepalives), and the
server will
             notice if the network goes down or the client host
crashes.  This
             avoids infinitely hanging sessions.

             To disable keepalives, the value should be set to â  noâ  .

I'm using SecureCRT thru a winders box here off site, thru one of my
boxes onsite and then ssh into the WBEL box. I'm trying to allow my
local IPs ssh access to the box. Which is why the hop and skip method.
Anyone else notice the odd charactor behavior? Maybe something is just
breaking in my shell thru a shell routine?

Also, I'll do what I can to help here. Perhaps even when we get enough
people, we maybe should 'donate' to a RHEL AS sub for the Beauregard
Parish Library so our base can be privy to RHN updates. Now wouldn't
that be interesting? It would also provide them with a test machine for
comparisons to WBEL. Just a thought. I've been buying RHN subs for some
years and what will be $30 per month per box to meet my needs (basically
apache and bind), is just too expensive. Be happy to pass along some of
my sub money to a good cause. I really hate to even bring this up at
this early stage, as open source and money seem to be almost at odds
with one another. Public Libraries on the other hand.......

John Hinton.. who is feeling pretty darned good about WBEL!