[WBEL-devel] word of caution regarding webmin

donavan nelson donavan@4wx.net
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:05:37 -0600

> First, I'm ecstatic!!! Thanks for WhiteBox EL!

Many of us are. :)

> Of note, sysstat is sending messages to my webserver install, as I
> selected it as an additional package during the intial setup. Seems
> someone commented it did this under full install but not under a
> later install. Maybe this happens with any intial install no matter
> how it gets there.

It could be.  I'll be adding that to my "list" to investigate.  Thanks for the
idea.  Do you recall which group it comes in?

> Second... and maybe this is just something I did that was stupid? My
> man pages on the non-graphical server install have an odd character
> appearing in place of some punctuation I guess? For instance:
>
>              The default is â   yesâ   (to send keepalives), and the
> server will
>              notice if the network goes down or the client host
> crashes.  This
>              avoids infinitely hanging sessions.
>
>              To disable keepalives, the value should be set to â
>  noâ  .
>
> I'm using SecureCRT thru a winders box here off site, thru one of my
> boxes onsite and then ssh into the WBEL box. I'm trying to allow my
> local IPs ssh access to the box. Which is why the hop and skip
> method. Anyone else notice the odd charactor behavior? Maybe
> something is just breaking in my shell thru a shell routine?

I'd guess off the top of my head it is terminal emulation on the box you are
logging into.  I have the same issues where (going to AIX where it doesn't
understand a kconsole).  Try VT100 in secureCRT and in your remote environment.

> Also, I'll do what I can to help here. Perhaps even when we get
> enough people, we maybe should 'donate' to a RHEL AS sub for the
> Beauregard Parish Library so our base can be privy to RHN updates.
> Now wouldn't that be interesting? It would also provide them with a
> test machine for comparisons to WBEL. Just a thought. I've been
> buying RHN subs for some years and what will be $30 per month per
> box to meet my needs (basically apache and bind), is just too
> expensive. Be happy to pass along some of my sub money to a good
> cause. I really hate to even bring this up at this early stage, as
> open source and money seem to be almost at odds with one another.
> Public Libraries on the other hand.......

I don't know for certain if John wants access to RHN.  He hasn't seen the RHEL
final disks and has not asked to.  As long as RH publishes the errata publicly
(the SRPMs should always be available).

I agree with you about the $$$ to use RHEL.  They are chasing off their
original customer base and alienating legions of people.  To be honest with
you, if I could buy one sub for WS and one sub for ES, I'd prolly do it, if I
could install it on my ~15 machines legally.

BTW, I'm talking with John (Morris) privately about setting up someway for the
community to make donations and purchase CD sets where the community benefits
directly from these actions.  I really think WBEL is going to take off like no
other project ever has.  I hope as a community that we can deal with explosive
growth.

.dn