[WBEL-devel] word of caution regarding webmin

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:28:51 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, donavan nelson wrote:

> > Of note, sysstat is sending messages to my webserver install, as I
> > selected it as an additional package during the intial setup. Seems
> > someone commented it did this under full install but not under a
> > later install. Maybe this happens with any intial install no matter
> > how it gets there.
>
> It could be.  I'll be adding that to my "list" to investigate.  Thanks for the
> idea.  Do you recall which group it comes in?

No need, the error in sysstat is squashed.  If anyone needs a quick fix
install the srpm and look at sysstat.crond in the SOURCES directory.  The
problem is someone at RH wasn't thinking (or more likely running flat
out under the cracking whip of a deadline) while doing the 64bit port.
Look at the .spec to see why.

> > I'm using SecureCRT thru a winders box here off site, thru one of my
> > boxes onsite and then ssh into the WBEL box. I'm trying to allow my
> > local IPs ssh access to the box. Which is why the hop and skip
> > method. Anyone else notice the odd charactor behavior? Maybe
> > something is just breaking in my shell thru a shell routine?
>
> I'd guess off the top of my head it is terminal emulation on the box you are
> logging into.  I have the same issues where (going to AIX where it doesn't
> understand a kconsole).  Try VT100 in secureCRT and in your remote environment.

I get the same problem using RedHat 7.3 to connect to my headless
buildhost.  Like RH9, RHEL3 goes full bore UTF8.  Export a gnome-terminal
if you want to get proper rendering.  I still get wierded out seeing a
dozen character sets onscreen at once while editing the comps.xml file in
vi.

> I don't know for certain if John wants access to RHN.  He hasn't seen
> the RHEL final disks and has not asked to.  As long as RH publishes the
> errata publicly (the SRPMs should always be available).

Exactly, just to avoid any possible contamination by the Enterprise RHN
contract I'm avoiding contact with an actual copy of RHEL3.  The RHEL EULA
isn't scary, but I found the RH contract on RH's site a while back and
decided it was too complex to really know what it means without a good
lawyer.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!