[WBEL-devel] Re: How to get the RHEL Errata?

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:41:25 -0500 (EST)

David Lerner  said:
> Willian,
>
> You are reading a fragment of the Red Hat Service Agreement. The
> restriction only applies to machines running software that carries the
> Red Hat brand. There is no requirement for paying a subscription for
> machines that have White Box Linux installed.

I personally agree with you (notice the "run the risk").  Without a
precedent to say what constitutes a "RHEL" machine in the eyes of the law,
I'm not comfortable stating definitely either way (IANAL).

> Red Hat has tried very
> hard to be legal with respect to the GPL. They  are not likely to take a
> position that would limit a user's rights to distribute both source and
> binary for any GPL package.

Which is why I included "Not being able to use the GPLed software is just
a penalty that can't be involved."

I have seen it proposed that the GPL doesn't cover being able to
distribute the binaries, just the sources.  I personally don't buy that.

Of course, this whole discussion ignores the fact that some of the
software isn't GPLed, and some licenses (the BSD license comes to mind)
does allow for not releasing the source and/or restricting distribution.

--
William Hooper