[WBEL-devel] Logo rpms

Charles Lacour clacour@clacour.com
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 04:20:14 -0600

I have a question for the group, and a problem to report unless I screwed
something up.

My question is mostly to John, I suppose.

Why not do what the EULA says, changing just the anaconda-images and
redhat-logos packages?

That would be a LOT less work (and I'm violently allergic to unnecessary
work), and the resulting product would be a lot more reliable.

John mentioned something about "I know I didn't want to put up ISO images with
RedHat's name all over it on a server in the reach of US law." Why not?

As best I can determine, Red Hat is still playing by the rules of the GPL, so
your project is both legal, and even encouraged by them to some degree.
(There was no reason they had to put all the trademarked stuff into one or
two RPMs, they could have had it spread out all over everywhere.)

I think there's an easy way to find out. I have access to the RHEL 3.0 CDs.
I'll make a copy and modify the two packages they mention, and then report
myself to their trademark people saying "here's what I've done, if you have
any objections, now is the time to mention them". If they're ok with that, I
see no reason to do things the hard way.

Now for the problem I mentioned. I took the "redhat-logos" rpm that was on
disk 1 of WBEL and copied it to /tmp.
I then ran rpm2tgz against it, and got a .tgz file.
I created a working directory ("wb") and untarred the .tgz file into it.

In /tmp/wb/usr/share/pixmaps, the file redhat-credits.png, and many of the
files in the directory "redhat" look like they're unchanged.

The RPM-related ones should be ok. But all of the others look like ones that
need to be changed to me.

Sorry if this has already been reported -- I read the archives first and
didn't see it there, but it seems like a rather large oversight, so I'm
wondering if I screwed up somewhere.