[WBEL-devel] slashdot posting (was: Long- Thoughts on WB)

Rob Sanders rsanders@route256.com
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:47:40 -0500

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 04:18:17 -0500 (EST)
RftD <ramblings@sadlittleboy.com> wrote:

> That being said, does anyone have mrtg graphs or similar that show what
> effect the post had on traffic levels?

I'm interested to see the 'effect' aswell.  I've never had anything slashdot'd but after having a password trader rape a clients adult site and peg and hold the nic card around 80Mbps, i can't see slashdot on a small imageless site (without a sql backend?) raising that much hell.  Are there any plans for site mirrors?  I know John's stuck on a T1, but I have to believe others here could help spred the load.

The biggest thing would probably be everyone grabbing the ISO's and giving it a shot, but being a geek site I would think most people would take the bit torrent route and be willing to pitch in.  Expecially if we mention that bandwidth is limited.  Maybe I'm just over optimistic in human nature, but I think everyone would atleast try to contribute back.

I'm waiting for a machine to be turned in off lease this week.  Then I'm going to load WBEL on it and try to help with the bandwidth issues.  I think its the least I could do since I plan to use a large part of WBEL, and I would hope others would pitch in what they can spare.  I'm working throught the holiday's myself, and getting our WBEL mirror up is on the priority list.

--
Rob Sanders