[WBEL-devel] About IBM JAVA

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 01:06:29 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, donavan nelson wrote:

> I just logged into my IBM support account and tried to download the JDK
> (theirs).  It has a section on the form for redistribution.  It sure looks
> promising.  But I wonder why RH is putting it on another disk.  It's not a
> disk space issue.  Disk 4 of the RHEL distribution doesn't have but a couple
> hundred megs on it.

Probably their policy of keeping nonFree software at arms length.  Or does
the IBM JDK have an srpm?

> BTW John, I have several private emails into...are you focusing on the list
> right now?

Between more thanksgiving distraction than expected and banging away on
yum/up2date the loadaverage is currently >1.00  :)

The good news is that all of the known issues are now dealt with, mozilla
was rebuilt tonite to drop the RHN links and sereral packages have been
cleaned up to use pristine source+patches.  yum+up2date looks promising.
Still poking around in the source.  yum got picked for detailed study
because I think it can do round robin selection among the mirrors while I
have only found how to make apt do failover.

If I'm going to tinker with RH's toys I MUST learn python.  Snagged
_Learning Python_ a couple of years back, still hasn't circulated to the
top of my "stuff I need to read" pile.  Gotta promote it to the top as
soon as I muddle my way through this release.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!