[WBEL-devel] In the words of Mark Twain ...

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:45:52 -0600

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 19:46, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
[snip]
> > ...  If
> > you need updates 60 seconds after they are announced, the srpms are
> > available for download from RedHat. Build them yourself.  You obviously have
> > the experience.
>
>   And this is a perfectly acceptable option.  WBEL forms the base.  The
> isos are out there, the srpms from Red Hat are, for the most part, a
> *breeze* to build yourself with 'rpmbuild --rebuild <srpm>' once you've
> got the base distribution of WBEL installed.  Do that, and you are not
> even dependent on John, or anyone else at the library.  Completely
> independent, with ease, no less.  With the exception of the occasional
> problem that may crop up in rebuilding a specific rpm.  That's where
> this list may come in handy in the future for those who choose the path
> of building their own updates.

I agree totally with this.  John has been very responsive on the normal
security updates (usually within 24 hours)... the Quarterly updates (I
think it was 62 packages for the first one) are going to take a little
longer.  If there is something that is extremely critical for your
individual install, then just rebuild it yourself if you can't wait a
week or two.

We should, by now, know the parameters that John has set out.  He will
maintain the x86 versions, use it if you want ... there are other people
maintaining a x86_64 version.

If John wants help with building (or distribution), he will ask,
probably on this list.

I'm not an expert or anything, but having been on this mailing list
since before the first release, what I have observed is this.  If you
offer help and don't get a response, the help is not needed ... if you
get a response then consider it a bonus.
We do need to figure out why some of the ISO's on the mirrors have the
wrong md5sum ... and how it keeps happening.