[WBEL-devel] In the words of Mark Twain ...

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:40:51 -0600

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 09:37, Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
> That's OK for those of us with the experience and resources to build the
> updates ourselves, but it seems a bit silly to have several people doing
> the exact same thing and not sharing the results for the benefit of
> everyone else. This "I'm alright Jack" attitude of just leeching John's
> stuff that he's good enough to share and not reciprocating is easy, but it
> doesn't feel too good.

If John was asking for help and people were saying "No way ... we just
want the stuff, and we don't want to give anything back" then it would
certainly not be OK.  I'm not suggesting any such thing.

John wants to do the updates himself, and he doesn't want the
help...therefore complaining about it is counter productive.  The people
in the know about the whitebox project (Jamey, John and Vicki) have said
as much ... but some people don't want it that way, and are not willing
to accept that answer.

WhiteBox is John's baby and if we want to use it, it should be by his
rules ... not yours, mine or anyone else's.  That's all I am saying.

If John asked for help, I would be the first one to do so ... In fact, I
offered (off list) to be in charge of composing and sending update
messages to the whitebox-announce list.

I would be glad to compile updates and even provide about 1/2 a T-1 of
upload bandwidth if it were required, but whitebox has enough mirrors
and John is doing all the updates...

Certainly continuing to whine, moan, and complain at/about the developer
of a project about his policy is silly ... if the project's community
involvement is not what some people want, then they should create their
own project ... then they can implement exactly what they want.

Another option is the CentOS distro at http://www.caosity.org ...

- Johnny Hughes