[WBEL-devel] About rpmdb-whitebox rpm

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:22:21 -0500 (EST)

Milan Kerslager said:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:56:49PM +0800, aiic wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>
>>    I don't think that this rpm is needed by anything. And buildinstall
>>    script doesn't use this rpm. Why do we include this rpm in the
>>    distro? What's the use of it?
>
> When this package is installed (and is builded corectly), it allows
> hinting when you install and there is missing dependency.
>
> So rpm is then able to tell to you:
>
> "You need library XY.so and suggested resolution is PACKAGE-1.1.i386.rpm"

Hmm... I'd forgotten about that.  I wonder if the redhat->whitebox name
change needs to made for this... Need to investigate.

The rpmdb also allows you to find out what package file ownership and
requirements without having the package installed (aka "redhatprovides"
and "redhatrequires").  This does require some changes to the aliases:
http://beau.org/pipermail/whitebox-devel/2003-December/000584.html

--
William Hooper