[WBEL-devel] Choosing a RHEL rebuild project

Simon J Mudd sjmudd@pobox.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:13:17 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Jamey Fletcher wrote:

> On 20 Jan 2004, Simon J Mudd wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to work on this (a build script with someone already)
> > but it's not in a state to make public. It's a shame that Morris
> > doesn't do the same with his one.
>
> You're under a mis-apprehension here - that John has a rebuild script.
> Check the website - the steps he uses are on there - but they're not in an
> easily scriptable state, and for many packages, he has to run through and
> find out *WHY* they won't build, and either track down the unlisted
> dependency, resolve version mismatches, or even just determine that *THIS*
> silly package wants to be built as a user (or even some *PARTICULAR*
> user), rather than as root.

I understand the "rebuild problem", but precisely because it is not
automated means that repeating the process is to put it midly error prone.

Obviously his web page gives a good starting point for writing an
automatic build script, and obviously this script needs to take into
account the chanegs you mention above.

> Let me repeat here - John does *NOT* have a magic script doing this for
> him.

I did not say that he had, but if he really wants to do this he'll always
be under pressure to repeat a previous build and to provide updated
packages as they are released by redhat, which is precisely how this
thread started :-(

Simon