[WBEL-devel] Choosing a RHEL rebuild project

Simon J Mudd sjmudd@pobox.com
22 Jan 2004 23:47:18 +0100

sjmudd@pobox.com (Simon J Mudd) writes:

> kediger@licor.com (Kevin Ediger) writes:
>
> > Simon J Mudd wrote:
> > > Of the 2 main contenders I see now I think that what is really needed
> > > is a public build script. With this we can post patches to build WBEL,
> > > tao or whatever, we can let others build the system (and updates as
> > > they appear), or we can do this ourselves.  The build script shouldn't
> > > need to be too big and for those who want a very close to RHEL os they
> > > probably don't have to worry about removing the RH license stuff as
> > > they are not "offering their 'home built' distribution to anyone
> > > else".
> >
> > If anyone is interested, I have a WBEL build script (actually, a
> > makefile). It builds far enough to use as a network install but
> > doesn't generate the individual CDROM images since I always use the
> > boot.iso CDROM or PXE and install using NFS. I've incorporated the
> > issues that have been discussed on this list as far as I can tell. I
> > don't have RHAS3, so I don't know how the packages compare to RedHat's
> > packages.
> >
> > ftp://odyssey.licor.com/whitebox/build
> >
> > The README file has additional information. I also applied the
> > whitebox patches to RedHat's recent updates and stored the resulting
> > sources in the SRPMS subdirectory.
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I will take a look at it.

Shame I was looking for something that would build from RHEL src.rpms
(and apply whatever appropriate patches) not the whitebox ones.

However your make file is a good start. Need to look for something
like "rpm diff" and see how to apply them to the RHEL src.rpms.

Thanks,

Simon