[WBEL-devel] Choosing a RHEL rebuild project

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:44:57 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Kevin Ediger wrote:

> If anyone is interested, I have a WBEL build script (actually, a makefile).
> It builds far enough to use as a network install but doesn't generate the
> individual CDROM images since I always use the boot.iso CDROM or PXE and
> install using NFS. I've incorporated the issues that have been discussed on
> this list as far as I can tell. I don't have RHAS3, so I don't know how the
> packages compare to RedHat's packages.
>
> ftp://odyssey.licor.com/whitebox/build

Just had a look at your script.  Looks like you have used make a lot more
than I have, but I have a few questions/comments anyway.

Can't see where you are catching the packages that need to be built as
root.  Those are kdenetwork, ghostscript, isdn4k-utils, rpm and tcpdump.
Although some of those might be caused instead by the user rpm build
environment that I got from somewhere on people.redhat.com that is a bit
mutant, kdenetwork for sure needs to build as root.

WBEL3 includes i586 versions of the kernel and glibc but I manually hack
the spec and build them since I didn't want to issue a -WB package for
such a minor tweak that 99% of users don't need anyway.  However an athlon
kernel is present in RHEL3 so it's absence is at least a buglet.

I'm already grabbing openoffice.org-1.1.0-6.WB1.src.rpm.  I will be
needing OOo 1.1 and no sense reinventing that wheel.  Your notes say a
newer lizard is required to build it but I didn't see that package.
Rpmfind only returns a mozilla-1.4.1 package for ASPLinux.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!