[WBEL-devel] BitTorrents are live for Respin1

Charles Stevenson cstevenson@atipa.com
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:44:50 -0500

Dear John,

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:01:58AM -0500, John Morris wrote:
> Ok, at long last they are here for your downloading pleasure.  Figuring on
> letting the list have a week to pick them apart before turning the general
> public loose on them.  The AMD issues sorted themselves out so it gets to
> join in on day 0.

Great, I'm looking forward to trying it out. :)

> The docs, clustering and eclipse are next in the pipeline, right after
> today's errata spew from RH.  Is it just me or has cvs become the whipping
> boy that sendmail used to be when it comes to the security issue of the
> month?

Hehehe... well the way it works from my experience is one person will
find a bug in a package and disclose the vulnerability. Then thousands
of people will download the source and start pouring over it looking for
another easy exploit to write and often with older software like
sendmail and cvs there are plenty of bugs to go around. My personal
preferences are either arch or subversion. What's everyone else using?

> tora - I got a tora-oracle package, but since i know zero about oracle I
> have no clue if it actually works.  It would be really great if someone
> who does know about Oracle had a look.  (i386 only)

We've got an engineer here who used to work for Oracle. I'll see if he
has time to take a look. If you don't here back from me later today
assume I got sidetracked with other tasks.

> x86_64 - I only have one example of the platform so I would be lying if I
> said it was well tested.  I have to boot "linux text nofb" but that is
> because I didn't enough homework before ordering and bought a Radeon
> 9600Pro.  X has taken some coaxing to get working every time I install
> anything.  Yes, on my next parts order I'm planning to upgrade to a Radeon
> 9200.

I've got some dual and quad opterons of various permutations if you'd
like a guinea pig. I have to admit that I'm also playing around with
White Box and ROCKS at the moment. Just trying to figure out which one
will make my life easiest. I'd love to hear any developers comments on
the pros and cons of Tao. The main thing I've noticed is that the WBEL
isos for x86_64 and ia64 are still hidden within the ftp mirrors whereas
Tao has links on the website.

In any case I just would like to say thank you to all the developers for
your hard work. The distribution seems very nice so far. Hopefully I'll
have time to contribute to the Tao Linux effort every now and then.

If there's any way I can help don't hesitate to let me know. I'm here to
support your efforts in any way I can.

Best Regards,
Charlie

--