[WBEL-devel] Respin 1

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:44:50 -0500 (CDT)

Ok, unless a really horrible problem is discovered, Respin 1 is baked.  At
this point the only known problem is that the srpm for rhn-applet isn't
signed.  That will be corrected in the updates dir so that up2date won't
error out.  Any other minor issues will be corrected via errata.

Besides the Update 1 and Update 2 errata this respin includes all other
errata issued by RH up through May 31.  This means that a fresh install
will already need updating, especially since a new kernel is due at any
moment.

rhn-applet has been reenabled in the comps file so that it will be
installed by default along with up2date.  It should be trademark clean,
but as always you guys have a lot more eyes than I do.

If you have been running up2date you should have already noticed it
supports the mirrors now.  The additional Extras channel should soon start
offering docs, clustering, etc.  It will not offer up anything not issued
by RH as part of the RHEL family.  Dag and soon ATrpms handle that sort of
thing in more depth than I'd ever have time for, entries are already in
the sources file, switch on the ones you want.

The bittorrents have been updated, but because the outbound needs to be
reserved for the mirrors until ncsu gets caught up the bitrate of the
initial seeds are throttled way down for now. An extra seed will be
brought up on my home DSL circuit to help with the i386 binary torrent
until another seed or two appears, then I'll help with one of the other
two as needed.  With luck by the time of the official announcement a few
extra seeds will be available to help absorb the initial surge of traffic.

The formal announcements will happen as soon as all of the files are on
most of the mirrors.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!