[WBEL-devel] Missing Kernel Modules

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 04:41:10 -0600

I have noticed something and I'm not quite sure why it's happening.

I have noticed that on a normal install, the WhiteBox Kernel is missing
some modules that should be installed based on the config file that is
installed in /boot.

Some modules that I have noticed that are for sure not there (but are
set to XXXXXXX=m in the config file) are:

tun
bridge
ftape
imm

I am sure there are others as well, but I haven't specifically checked.

This isn't a major problem for me, I can recompile the kernel by
installing the kernel-source, going /usr/src/linux-2.4 and doing:

1.  make mrproper
2.  copy the default config file down from /boot to .config
3.  Edit the EXTRAVERSION= line (in the Makefile) to remove the custom
4.  make oldconfig
5.  make menuconfig (if I want to change any options ... like processors
type)
6.  make dep
7.  make bzImage
8.  make modules
9.  make modules_install
10.  make install

But, my question is, why does the kernel installed not match the
/boot/config file installed?

I checked this with the original kernel (2.4.21-4EL) and 2.4.21-9.0.1.EL
... also with the smp kernels.

I will also check this on RHEL and post the results.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes