[WBEL-devel] Missing libpng and libpng10 updates

Paul Iadonisi pri.wbel1@iadonisi.to
Wed, 26 May 2004 17:01:13 -0400

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 15:41, Jesse wrote:

[snip]

> I don't know if John does extra steps, but you can roll your own for most
> packages pretty easily.
>
> Download the SRPM.
> rpm -ivh the SRPM
> cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
> rpmbuild -bb theprogram.spec
> When it's done compiling, you should see a binary RPM in one of the
> subdirectories of /usr/src/redhat/RPMS

  No!  Don't do that!  ;-)

  It's actually not a big deal if you do, but you've got an entirely
unnecessary step in there.  You simple need to do a 'rpmbuild --rebuild
<SRPM>'.  No need to install it first and then build from the spec
file.  Why bother doing that when it means you now don't know which SRPM
to keep around for possible future purposes.  I'd only keep a
(differently named by changing the Release: tag in the spec file) self
generated SRPM around if I made changes to it, like John's trademark
changes.
  And frankly, if you're maintaining your own updates, the only custom
ones you need are anaconda-images and redhat-logos.  John has taken the
safer (but more involved) route of removing anything that could lead one
to believe that WBEL comes from Red Hat.  Wise for WBEL, but not really
necessary if you are maintaining your own binary RPMS built from SRPMS.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator