[WBEL-devel] kernel nevra vpackage

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:32:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, bishop wrote:

> I was rolling a kernel-module-prism2 kit, basically finishing up the
> work from a kit I saw on the net, and throughout my testing I was
> constantly getting kernel symbol problems when the new drivers got their
> depmod.  After a bunch of poking and fuming, I found out the problem:
> kernel arch was i686, but the package was built under i386 as the default.

Been there, been bit on that one.  Easy to forget the --target switch when
building modules, in my case it is winmodems and thinkpad drivers.

> So, what I'm thinking is:  can we provide a virtual package in the
> kernel RPM that lists the arch in there?
>
> 	Provides:  kernel-2.4.21-21-i386-up

Not at the WB level, but it would be super if RH would do it.  As of now I
don't have to touch the kernel packages, just rebuild them as is.  I'd
really like to keep it that way for the 3.0 series.  For 4.0 I already
suspect I'll be tinkering around the signed modules stuff to add in my own
keyring.

> But it's likely not the best solution.  Got any better?

Not really.  Got to be lots of us coping with out of tree modules though,
so somebody will hit on the answer.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!