[WBEL-devel] Centos and whitebox (etc)

Jon Peatfield J.S.Peatfield@damtp.cam.ac.uk
Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:26:54 +0100

Possibly I shouldn't ask this so obviously to both sets of devolopers
but I'm curious to know if Centos and whitebox each have any major
differences from each other.

Both claim to be built from the RHEL srpms (with modifications to
remove the trademark'd stuff etc).

I discovered whitebox first simply because it was mentioned on another
mailing list, but from first glance both appear to be attempting to
fill the same niche (and both seem to be doing it pretty well).

Clearly each distro will need slightly different tweaks (at least the
strings might want to be different), and each will still want to
build/sign their own RPMs -- unless they can merge their efforts of
course.

The same probably applies to the Fermi Scientific Linux etc too
(though that isn't *just* a RHEL rebuild since they include a bunch of
extra packages that they wrote/packaged up themselves).

I've looked at the rhel-rebuilding mailing list (before someone points
me there).

Looking at the available trees it seems that centos has _slightly_
more recent updates (or maybe the wbel mirror I was looking at is a
bit more out-of-date).

Of course neither has included the "RHEL 3 update 3" stuff (but then I
probably wouldn't expect that yet).

 -- Jon