[WBEL-devel] LVM version 1.0.8-5 broken

Raimo Koski rk@raimokoski.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:43:39 -0400

John Morris wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Raimo Koski wrote:
>

>>Gfs does that (kernel-source, kernel-headers no longer exists), but I
>>think it is the only one from RH. Dag has several kernel module packages
>>and I think they are similar.
>

> Eh?  I thought they were eliminating kernel-source over at Fedora, since
> it really doesn't have anything you can't get out of the srpm.  Having to
> install the kernel source to get the headers would be a big 'ol PITA.

Gfs spec file copies the whole kernel source, adds gfs code and builds
all the modules for several archs. At least I believe so. It takes about
the half of the time of building kernel rpms, so I think I am right.
Kinda sledgehammer way of doing it, but it works and I am not going to
fix it. So headers is not enough for me and I really don't care what is
for others ;)

> You might want to nab the scripts I used and see what you can reuse from
> them.  I manage to get WBEL3 to cleanly install without needing to use
> anaconda and a partition using just rpm and some bash tricks.  Be advised
> the script only works with the original 3.0, the respin needs a tweak or
> two according to previous posts on this list.  (add laus to the first
> batch of packages, etc)

Dag has similar install script in his dar package. Full install of LEL
is currently little over 5 GB and with the current cost of hard disks it
is about 2.5 $/EUR, so there is no sense in trying to save some space or
do tricks. That separate install partition can be used for testing and
comparing the results, so even that is not wasted.

It will take a while before I will start using chrooted builds. Lots of
interesting architectural problems. For example, concurrent builds needs
separate /usr/src for each chroot. Is local nfs or really big chroot
partition the best solution. I really don't want to redo it when I start.

--
Raimo Koski  http://www.lineox.com/  http://www.raimokoski.com/