[WBEL-devel] LVM version 1.0.8-5 broken

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:42:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Raimo Koski wrote:

> Gfs does that (kernel-source, kernel-headers no longer exists), but I
> think it is the only one from RH. Dag has several kernel module packages
> and I think they are similar.

Eh?  I thought they were eliminating kernel-source over at Fedora, since
it really doesn't have anything you can't get out of the srpm.  Having to
install the kernel source to get the headers would be a big 'ol PITA.

> I agree on chroot, but you should do full install on a separate
> partition, boot it to save at least env vars before copying it to subdir
> on a larger partition. For example QTDIR=/usr/lib64/qt-3.1 on x86_64
> will cause trouble when building KDE apps for x86. There might be other
> gotchas and I intend to do some full builds and compare them before
> relying on chrooted build environments.

You might want to nab the scripts I used and see what you can reuse from
them.  I manage to get WBEL3 to cleanly install without needing to use
anaconda and a partition using just rpm and some bash tricks.  Be advised
the script only works with the original 3.0, the respin needs a tweak or
two according to previous posts on this list.  (add laus to the first
batch of packages, etc)

> Dag has made about the same mistakes as you and generally he and you may
> have good results, but building a whole distribution should be on a more
> stable base.

Guys like Dag are the ones who REALLY need packages building correctly in
a chroot.  If I can ever get X working I'll probbaly start sticking to the
dogfood and running WBEL on my home machine, eliminating this particular
problem.... until I need to be supporting WBEL3 and WBEL4.  But Dag is
supporting so many kernel versions he would need a pretty good stack of
buildhosts if he had to build everything on a real host.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!