[WBEL-devel] LVM version 1.0.8-5 broken

Raimo Koski rk@raimokoski.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:01:46 -0400

John Morris wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Raimo Koski wrote:
>

>>The real solution is to add more options to setarch.
>

> Not really.  The correct way to determine the kernel version to build for
> would be to look at the kernel-headers package version if building
> packages in a chrooted environment is the preferred way, and I think it
> is.  (The alternative being racks of seperate machines or user-mode linux
> for sites trying to support diverse distributions, chroot is far easier.)

Gfs does that (kernel-source, kernel-headers no longer exists), but I
think it is the only one from RH. Dag has several kernel module packages
and I think they are similar.
I agree on chroot, but you should do full install on a separate
partition, boot it to save at least env vars before copying it to subdir
on a larger partition. For example QTDIR=/usr/lib64/qt-3.1 on x86_64
will cause trouble when building KDE apps for x86. There might be other
gotchas and I intend to do some full builds and compare them before
relying on chrooted build environments. Dag has made about the same
mistakes as you and generally he and you may have good results, but
building a whole distribution should be on a more stable base.

--
Raimo Koski  http://www.lineox.com/  http://www.raimokoski.com/