[WBEL-devel] mysql-server 3.23.58-2.3 update issue...

Rich McCue rmccue@law.uvic.ca
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:37:44 -0800

Here is a weird one for you. I have a MySQL database on a server in our small Free Legal Clinic downtown (16 windows clients for samba), and have a PHP/MySQL application running for keeping track of their clients (10MB database). I migrated their data to their new under utilized server (Dell PowerEdge 1600, 1GB RAM, 73GB RAID1) on December 2nd, 2004. The PHP/MySQL application ran flawlessly until December 23, 2004 when I installed the following patches:

mysql 3.23.58-2.3 	Applications/Databases 	MySQL client programs and shared libraries.
mysql-server 3.23.58-2.3   Applications/Databases 	The MySQL server and related files.

After installing the patches all the data from December 23rd to December 2nd disapeared. When new data was entered, the auto increment primary key picked up from the last Dec 2nd entry (i.e. no gap, as would happen if the data had been deleted).

I suspect that I should have shutdown the mysqld before applying the patch so that the data in memory would have been written to the hard drive.  Shouldn't the patch have done the same?

Let me know if you think I'm out in left field.  I'm still  scraching my head over this one.  I have three other servers running MySQL and have not seen the same thing happen, but their usage is much higher, and MySQL probably writes to the Hard Drive more often on those servers.

Thanks for your help.

Rich McCue
Systems Administrator
UVic Faculty of Law