[WBEL-devel] WBEL4 progress update

Jesse j at lumiere.net
Thu Mar 24 16:13:15 CST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, John Morris wrote:

> Is there anyone reading this that would want to install the x86_64 port
> yet lacks a way to burn a DVD or has a target machine lacking a DVD
> drive?  Assuming the answer to both is no, but assuming that there still
> are a lot of i386 servers lacking DVD drives, how about i386 release on
> CD only and x86_64 DVD only?

My opinion is that if you are looking for less things to distribute, drop
the DVDs CDs are standard, CDs are what everyone is guaranteed to have.
If you have DVD drive, you can read CDs, but not vice versa.

I personally have several x86_64 servers and none of them has ever had a
DVD drive. I don't buy DVD drives for servers. When asking for x86_64
quotes from my various vendors, none of them has ever listed or suggested
a DVD drive on their own -- always CD. I also have a couple hundred i386
machines and not one of those has a DVD drive, including the brand new
ones, and there are no plans to get DVD drives in the future.

In serverland, there's little reason to pay for hundreds of DVD drives
that will only ever be used once (or never). Personally I'd find a single
CD release (with just minimum server package set) to be more interesting
than a DVD release, but the 3-4 CD release satisfies my needs.

So in case it's unclear ;), my vote is for CDs over DVDs.

---
Jesse <j at lumiere.net>