[WBEL-devel] WBEL4 progress update

Jesse j at lumiere.net
Thu Mar 24 16:57:16 CST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, John A. Tamplin wrote:

> With the cost difference between a DVD-ROM and a CD-ROM negligible, I
> don't build a server without one (in fact I usually put a CD-RW/DVD-ROM
> drive in since that is only a few dollars more than a DVD-ROM).  It may

In my experience, a slim DVD drive is about twice the cost of a slim
CDROM. Granted, we're talking about $30 here.

> come on DVD rather than CD.  For the machines where I care about a few
> dollars, such as cluster worker nodes, I don't even put a CD in them and
> use an external USB DVD+-RW that I hook up only for OS install.

I actually don't have CDROMs on the vast majority of machines as well. I
do network installs, and so, for that, DVD would probably work fine.
But I still think it makes the most sense, if you're only going to
distribute in one media format, to use the one with widest usage. No?

If we're going DVD, why not dual-layer DVD? The cost is only a little
more... Blu-Ray anyone?

---
Jesse <j at lumiere.net>