[WBEL-users] Help with update server.....

John Hinton webmaster@ew3d.com
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:04:13 -0500

Chris Wertman wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>I am new to this list and Whitebox, actually Ive never
>installed Whitebox, and since I actually PAID for RHEL
>3 (my bad) :)

Not an answer to your question, but a comment on the above...

Actually, I think this is a great thing! After all, Whitebox is totally
dependent on the success of RHEL. I will be running quite a few
machines, hopefully using WBEL, however, I am considering
buying/subscribing at least one legal version of RHEL as a way to do two
things. One, first and foremost, send at least some money to RedHat.
They do need money to survive. Also, it will act as a double check that
nothing gets missed and to check timing on updates to WBEL. John and
others, don't take this wrong.. I'm not at all saying this to create any
bad feelings and to date I see no reason to expect I need to do this
update timing check. I do think it is only a responsible thing to do for
my users. I'll perhaps have a legal copy of RHEL on my master/main
server and then run WBEL satelites from there.

No matter what, I do think it would be really nice if we all did try to
get RedHat at least a little money in some fashion, no matter how you
feel about them at the moment. They are still in my opinion, the main
driving force behind the success of Linux in general. And yes, I'm
really upset with them for many reasons at the moment. I think this
whole process has been one blunder followed by yet another one, each of
which has successively alienated much of their user base, paid or not.

Sorry to even go here.. I don't really want to make this into a RH
complaint list, but I did feel the need to say some of us here, likely
most of us, still have great respect for RedHat and really we must wish
them success, else we die as well.

BTW! Welcome!!

Best,
John Hinton