[WBEL-users] textfile based config recommendations?

g whitley mott grwm@gnuleaf.net
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 06:16:28 +0000

i've had my own textfile based config system for a good while now, but
i'm at that juncture where either i need to make some significant
improvements, or abandon and adopt an existing wheel.

in what i've got, all my system config data goes into a single textfile,
and it configures named, dhcpd, iptables, ifconfig, ppp or pppoe, route,
cipe, sendmail or postfix, smb, xinetd, inittab, and the rcN.d contents.

i'd really like to stick with this model, so i may well end up beefing
it up, but it strikes me as likely it's already out there somewhere.
"System Configurator" is about the right idea, but it doesn't appear to
do much.  or i might be in for a surprise if something like webmin also
had the functionality i seek.

any suggestions?

-g
--