[WBEL-users] Postfix or Sendmail

Karl-König Königsson karl-konig.q.konigsson@posten.se
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:19:24 +0200

Milan Keršláger wrote:
> Postfix is more secure. Sendmail is big ball with big holes (at least in
> the past).

I agree, these are my impressions too, that's why I tried Postfix in the
first place.

The problem with Postfix is not security but compatibility. I have
noticed that many extensions to mail systems, such as spam filters etc.,
are very Sendmail-centric. It can be hard to integrate some tools with
Postfix just because it is a different program and a different architecture.

By design is Sendmail a more vulnerable target than Postfix, that is
hard to neglect, and Sendmail has had more and more severe bugs over the
years. There are and will always be patches but who is first when a new
hole is discovered? Me or the bad guys?

And this is the pearl: Postfix is better by design but Sendmail has been
around longer and has more tools.

This is as far as I got before I posted to the list. Basically I feel
caught between a rock and a hard place: security or extendability.

Please keep the opinions coming... ;-)

	Karl-König Königsson

--
Karl-Koenig Koenigsson, CM Pablo