[WBEL-users] Re: RAID using Highpoint hpt37x

Tim Moore whitebox@nsr500.net
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:50:23 -0700

Thrift Internet Service wrote:
> That is correct, you are frozen on one kernel once you install the Highpoint
> driver. It is the same situation with Promise RAID chips. I wish there was
> an alternative, but I no longer have confidence in Linux software RAID.

"Linux software RAID" has been around since the 2.0.x kernel days and works
just fine, as does 3ware, Adaptec, Megaraid and other common hardware RAID
controllers.

Promise and HighPoint have been turning out cheap RAID hardware and drivers
that have always lacked performance or reliability or both.  In this case
you do get what you pay for (either $$ or time invested).  The only way I
would use either of these controllers is as a simple disk controller
combined with linux native software RAID.

Also consider the integrated chipset "addons" that come with your
motherboard are most likely the lowest common denominator.  Why trust them
with data integrity or I/O performance?

rgds,
tim.