[WBEL-users] Re: RAID using Highpoint hpt37x

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:49:50 -0400

Tim Moore wrote:

> Thrift Internet Service wrote:
>
>> That is correct, you are frozen on one kernel once you install the
>> Highpoint
>> driver. It is the same situation with Promise RAID chips. I wish there
>> was
>> an alternative, but I no longer have confidence in Linux software RAID.
>

> "Linux software RAID" has been around since the 2.0.x kernel days and
> works just fine, as does 3ware, Adaptec, Megaraid and other common
> hardware RAID controllers.
>
> Promise and HighPoint have been turning out cheap RAID hardware and
> drivers that have always lacked performance or reliability or both.  In
> this case you do get what you pay for (either $$ or time invested).  The
> only way I would use either of these controllers is as a simple disk
> controller combined with linux native software RAID.
>
> Also consider the integrated chipset "addons" that come with your
> motherboard are most likely the lowest common denominator.  Why trust
> them with data integrity or I/O performance?

I was wondering why the O.P. didn't trust Linux RAID. I've been running
RAID-1 on my critical data fileserver since the kernel was new, it's
2.2.6 to give you an idea of age.

That said, there's a great use for the crappy software RAID on M/B and
cheap controllers, use it with a few small drives for boot. Unless you
run LinuxBIOS you don't get RAID until the kernel is loaded, and that
doesn't happen if the first drive goes bad with a normal typical BIOS.
The typical BIOS will boot from the 2nd drive if the first fails, but
not if it gets bad data on the first. Using the built-in RAID will get
you going at least. After you're up you probably just ignore those
drives, spin them down and ignore them.

At least around here, between OfficeMax, Staples, and computer shows, I
can get a small drive for about $50, and a pair is cheap insurance that
the system will boot.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)