[WBEL-users] Re: RAID using Highpoint hpt37x

Thrift Internet Service thrift@thriftinternet.com
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 07:52:27 -0700

> I was wondering why the O.P. didn't trust Linux RAID.

I am doing some Linux RAID experiments right now. I may switch to Linux RAID
in my new 'White Box series' servers.

The primary reason I didn't use Linux RAID last time around is that the loss
of the primary drive creates a problem to make the secondary hard drive
bootable. Understand that I colocate my machines so sometimes I can't get to
them right away in an emergency, particularly when the colocation host is in
another state. Colocation hosts can help with small tasks, such as a reboot
or even swapping a power supply, but making the slave drive bootable with
"linux rescue" is more than I generally like to ask them to do. When using
Highpoint the system can be booted with either hard drive easily.

I have gone to having redundant machines (fail-over) in separate colocation
facilities, so my operation isn't as sensitive to outages as it used to be.
Also, I found a colocation host in my city for one of my machines, so I can
get to it quickly if I have to. With those changes I can now consider Linux
RAID.

My primary motivation for considering the Linux RAID switch from Highpoint
is to be able to apply kernel upgrades to patch vulnerabilities.