[WBEL-users] Installation question

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:21:07 -0400

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 10:49, Will Senn wrote:
> tb,
>
> Yes, just don't install the boot loader when the option is presented.

My preference in this scenario is to choose to write grub to the /boot
partition rather than the MBR.  This way you have the configuration all
set up but the boot will still use the old default, and you can then
easily change by rewriting the MBR to use the new grub installation when
you are satisfied, or blow it away if you are not.  IIRC you can chain
to the grub on the new boot partition from the one on the MBR, but I
just copy the new grub stanza of interest to the default grub.conf so
it's on the menu.

If you really want a floppy boot check out
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-April/msg00642.html

Hard to make a boot floppy with a vmlinuz and initrd.img these days due
to the size of kernels, as pointed out in other responses, but the above
link has a script that will create a grub floppy with a menu interface.

I second the opinion on the benefits VMware as a testbed.

Phil