[WBEL-users] What do you think?

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:26:39 -0500

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:51:49AM -0600, Kerry Cox wrote:
> Kirby brings up a good point. If people are serious about maintaining
> Whitebox on their own networks, there ought to be some instructions
> regarding the creation and maintenance of a local yum repository. I have
> been meaning to do this for quite some time. But, I do not want to
> reinvent the wheel.

The really wonderful thing about YUM is that to build a repository
you just mirror a working repository, and setup an HTTP server with
indexing turned on for the directory.

In my case that means to add this to my httpd.conf file:

-- Start httpd.conf

# Allow everything under /mirrors to be fetched via HTTP.
Alias /mirrors "/mirrors"

# Allow whitebox to be indexed.  Try and make it kinda secure.
<Directory "/mirrors/whitebox">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

-- Stop httpd.conf

Then mirror the whitebox dir from any of the public mirrors.

In my case that's done using this bit of shell script:

#!/bin/sh

# Pick which mirror you want:
#RSYNC_BASE="rsync://mirrors.esat.net/ftp/mirrors/whiteboxlinux.org/"
RSYNC_BASE="rsync://mirror.physics.ncsu.edu/whitebox/"
versionList="3.0"

for ver in $versionList
do
        for subdir in os updates
        do
                echo "Fetching WhiteBox: /mirrors/whitebox/$ver/en/$subdir/"
                mkdir -p /mirrors/whitebox/$ver/en/$subdir/
                rsync -avr -P --delete $RSYNC_BASE/$ver/en/$subdir/.  /mirrors/whitebox/$ver/en/$subdir/.
        done
done

If I remember correctly, rebuilding the YUM headers is a single
yum-arch command.  I've never done it, but I remember the docs being
pretty simple.

See this e-mail for a simple example of building a local FreshRPMs
YUM repository:

http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/freshrpms-list/2004-February/007870.html

This guy appears to have a YUM info site, it looks like a quick
rundown on what to do (the rest of the site appears to be a useful
tutorial in YUM usage):

http://www.charlescurley.com/yum/repository.html

So it looks like all I would have to do is add this to the outer for
loop in the above instructions:

( cd /mirrors/whitebox/$ver/en/updates/headers/ ; yum-arch . )

If I had yum-arch installed, that would be it.  I've never done
that line of shell, but the Apache and rsync are known working.

> Has anyone run across some simple documentation for setting up a local
> yum repository? Anyone willing to share this? If not, I'd be happy to
> create something fast in XML format and then publish in to HTML using
> DocBook. Or, if someone already has some instructions, send them my way
> and I'll publish it for everyone in HTML format.

	The above links have simple instructions.  The only reason I
haven't done it, is that my WhiteBox linux repository is on a RedHat
9 box, and I didn't want to fool around with getting YUM on it.  I
was using this as an excuse to motivate me to upgrade that machine
to WhiteBox.  Hopefully I'll get motivated soon.

	Thanks,
		Kirby